Warrior Transition Command
Warrior Transition Command

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)


Warrior Care and Transition Program

I am a Reserve Component (COMPE 2/3) Soldier and injured my knee during Annual Training (AT). Can I be assigned to a WTU?

COMPO 2/3 Soldiers injured during AT can request for assignment/attachment to a WTU under the ADME program, if they meet the entry criteria for the WCTP.

I was attached to a WTU two years ago and was returned to duty because my temporary profile designators went from 3 to 2. I now have a temporary profile with all designators of 3. Can I apply for reentry into a WTU?

Yes, however, you must meet the entry criteria for the WCTP.

How long can Active Component (COMPO 1) and Active Guard Reserve (AGR) Soldiers be attached to a WTU?

COMPO 1 and AGR Soldiers will not be in an attached status for longer than 180 days, unless approved as an exception to policy by Army G-1 (DAPE-PRC). Attachment and assignment of AGR Soldiers to a WTU/CBWTU resides with Army Human Resources Command (AHRC).

Is everyone eligible to move to another WTU or to a CBWTU?

No, specific criteria must be met to be eligible for WTU/CBWTU transfer. Please refer to the Army G-1 Warrior Transition Unit (WTU) – Consolidated Guidance (Administrative). For information regarding transfer exceptions, refer to the WCTP Policy Memo 13-007: Exception to Policy for Transfer of Soldiers in Warrior Transition Units (WTUs) and Community Based Warrior Transition Units (CBWTUs).

How do I request a transfer to another WTU or to a CBWTU?

You should work with your nurse case manager (NCM) and transfer coordinator to obtain the necessary approvals and enter your PMR into the TRAC2ES system.

Can a COMPO 1 Soldier be attached to a CBWTU?

Yes, under certain circumstances. The discussion should begin with your NCM.

Are there time limitations between transfers to other WTUs?

Yes, you cannot PCS twice within the same 12-month period.

Does the Army make any exceptions to the transfer criteria?

Yes, under certain circumstances. The discussion should begin with your NCM. For information regarding transfer exceptions, refer to the WCTP Policy Memo 13-007: Exception to Policy for Transfer of Soldiers in Warrior Transition Units (WTUs) and Community Based Warrior Transition Units (CBWTUs).

U.S. Army Wounded Warrior Program (AW2)

Is every wounded Soldier eligible for AW2?

No. To be eligible for AW2, a wounded Soldier or Veteran has to meet the Eligibility Requirements for inclusion in the program. Please refer to Eligibility Requirements for AW2 entry criteria.

I have a 50% disability rating from Veterans Administration (VA). Do I qualify for AW2?

No, unless you meet the Army rating requirements for AW2. A Veterans Administration (VA) disability rating is different from the Army Physical Disability Agency (PDA) rating. AW2 eligibility determination is based on the Army rating and the Army rates for fitness, while the VA rates for service connection.

Health & Recovery

Can exposure to traumatic events and high levels of stress cause one to get angry?

Yes. Anger is a common reaction after being in a situation that causes feelings of fear or loss of control. It can be greatly intensified for people who have experienced extremely traumatic events or have been exposed to intense stress for long periods of time. That’s why out-of-control anger can be a very real problem for service members returning from deployment in a war zone.

What are some warning signs that I have an anger problem?

Sometimes it’s not easy to know if you have a problem with anger; however, the following signs may indicate that anger is becoming a problem for you:

I find holding in my anger as a good approach to handling my anger. Is this recommended?

No. Holding anger in means that you’ve pushed it down and are trying not to think about it, or you’ve walked away from a conflict without saying anything, causing you to see the inside. The problem with this approach is that the anger can, over time, turn into resentment, and you won’t have solved any of the issues that caused it in the first place. Bottled-up anger may lead to depression, anxiety and physical problems such as high blood pressure.

I think I have issues dealing with my anger and it is impacting my ability to heal and transition. How can I get help?

Within Warrior Transition Units (WTUs) there are a number of staff members that can assist you as you transition and heal. Your squad leader, nurse case manager or WTU social worker can all assist you in pursuing help for issues with anger. Anger management is a key to healing and improving one’s quality of life.

Is depression treatable?

Yes, the majority of people who are treated for depression will improve, even those with serious depression. Unfortunately, one-third of sufferers do not seek help, as they do not realize depression is a treatable illness.

I was diagnosed with major depression. What does that mean?

Major depression or major depressive disorder is characterized by a combination of symptoms that interfere with a person’s ability to work, sleep, study, eat, and enjoy once-pleasurable activities. Major depression is disabling and prevents a person from functioning normally. Some people may experience only a single episode within their lifetime, but more often a person may have multiple episodes. Depression is a common but serious illness and most need treatment to get better.

Is it normal to feel depressed around the holidays?

Feeling down during or after the holiday season is not uncommon. Preparing for the holidays, the increased expectations of family and friends, the sadness of not having a loved one present, or having to say good-bye after a holiday reunion can contribute to a person feeling down. However, if these symptoms persist or if you suspect it might be more serious, contact someone for help.

Is combat exposure the only way to develop PTSD?

No. PTSD can occur after you have been through a traumatic event. A traumatic event is something terrible and scary that you see, hear about, or that happens to you, like sexual or physical assault, serious accidents, or even natural disasters, such as a fire, tornado, hurricane, flood or earthquake.

Does PTSD appear immediately after the exposure to the traumatic event?

PTSD symptoms usually start soon after the traumatic event, but they may not occur until months or years later. They also may come and go over many years. If the symptoms last longer than four weeks, cause you great distress, or interfere with your work or home life, you might have PTSD.

What is a “flashback?”

As the name implies, in a flashback, a person may feel or act as though a traumatic event is happening again. There are a number of ways in which people may relive a trauma. They may have upsetting memories of the traumatic event. These memories can come back when they are not expecting them. At other times the memories may be triggered by a traumatic reminder such as when a combat Veteran hears a car backfire, a motor vehicle accident victim drives by a car accident, or a rape victim sees a news report of a recent sexual assault. These memories can cause both emotional and physical reactions. Sometimes these memories can feel so real it is as if the event is actually happening again. This is called a “flashback.” Reliving the event may cause intense feelings of fear, helplessness and horror similar to the feelings they had when the event first took place.

What does the term “relapse” mean?

Relapse is a recurrence of symptoms of a disease after a period of improvement, such as when a person in recovery drinks or uses drugs again after a period of abstinence.

Can I attend a self-help or 12-step program such as Alcoholics Anonymous as I recover?

Yes. Support groups consist of people in recovery that offer a safe place where recovering people share their experi­ences, strengths and hopes. Alcoholics Anonymous’ (AA’s) 12-step program helps mem­bers recover from addiction, addictive behavior and emotional suffering. These groups are free and are not support­ed by any particular treatment program.

My spouse tells me I am in denial about my alcohol use. What are the signs of alcohol abuse?

Denial is the thought process in which a person does not believe he or she has a problem, despite strong evidence to the contrary. It is a way of protecting oneself from painful thoughts or feelings. An example of denial is that one may believe that they received a ticket for driving under the influence of alcohol because the police were targeting them. This false belief is called denial, which is a component of alcohol abuse.

Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES)

Will I be automatically discharged from the Army if I enter the MEB process?

No. Entering into the MEB process does not mean the Soldier will be automatically discharged from military service.

Is the MEB process considered a military occupational specialty (MOS) reclassification board?

No. Reclassification is considered by the MOS Administrative Retention Review (MAR2) for Soldiers with a permanent level 3 profile (P3) who meet retention standards.

What is MAR2?

MOS Administrative Retention Review (MAR2) is for wounded, ill and injured Soldiers who meet retention standards but cannot fulfill the requirements of their current job or Military Occupation Specialty (MOS). During the MAR2 process, the Army identifies new MOS possibilities for a Soldier and re-assigns them. Once the Soldier heals and transitions out of the WTU, they will typically move directly into a training program for the next MOS before moving onto their new duty station to ensure they have the necessary skills for their new work.

Can I appeal the MEB/PEB decision?

If the Soldier disagrees with the formal PEB findings, he or she may submit a rebuttal that will be reviewed by the formal PEB. The formal PEB will either affirm their initial findings or may issue revised findings (called a formal reconsideration).  If the formal PEB issues revised findings, you will again be allowed to respond to those findings by submitting another rebuttal to the formal PEB.  You may also request VA reconsideration of any condition you were found unfit for as long as you did not previously request VA reconsideration for the same condition. The PEB will forward your request to the VA D-RAS and will issue new findings if the VA changes the rating.

Can I take leave while I am being evaluated?

Yes; however, it requires a review by your PEBLO to ensure your leave does not conflict with any scheduled MEB or VA exams.

How long can I stay on ADME/MRP2 orders?

Six months, initially for the primary injury, illness or wound. Based upon the medical treatment plan, your primary care manager (PCM) may request an extension.

Can COMPO 1 Soldiers apply for ADME/MRP2 orders?

No, COMPO 1 Soldiers cannot apply.

Can I decline ADME/MRP2 orders once approved?


Can I go straight to a CBWTU if approved for ADME/MRP2 orders? Will it be considered a PCS move?

No, the program is designed for in-processing at a Warrior Transition Unit (WTU) to develop a medical treatment plan and transition plan. The ADME/MPR2 orders are less than 179 days, therefore by JFT regulations, it is considered a TCS move.

When does the COAD/COAR process begin?

A COAD/COAR request will go to the Physical Disability Agency (PDA) after the Soldier receives their unfit rating and indicates that they want to pursue COAD/COAR.

How long can I stay in COAD/COAR?

Once approved for COAD, Soldiers may remain on Active Duty (provided otherwise qualified) until their retention control point (RCP), mandatory removal or retirement date (MRD), or age 60 for Guard and Reserve, whichever comes first. Once approved for COAR, Soldiers may serve to their maximum years of service (MYOS), MRD, or age 60, whichever occurs first. They will be required to reenlist if the period for which their COAD or COAR was approved extends beyond their contractual enlistment.

Am I still competitive for promotion?

Yes, you are eligible for promotion and still competitive. AR 600-8-19 and Warrior Transition Unit (WTU) Consolidated Guidance govern promotion rules, policy, and procedure.

Who is the authority for disapproving COAD/COAR requests?

The U.S. Army Deputy Chief of Staff, G-1.

Will I remain in the same Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) while I am in COAD/COAR?

Most Soldiers remain in their current MOS and are assigned in accordance with their limitations.

Can I revoke/withdraw my COAD/COAR application?

Yes. A Soldier may request to revoke/withdraw their application through their local Physical Evaluation Board Liaison Officer (PEBLO).

Can I reenlist while in COAD/COAR?

Yes, you are allowed to reenlist. Soldiers are not required to meet medical standards for disabilities for which they were continued. However, they may be denied reenlistment if their disabilities have worsened or if they have new medical impairments which fall below the medical retention standards of AR 40-501, Chapter 3.

Will I be automatically discharged from the Army if I enter the MAR2 process?

No. Entering into the MAR2 process does not mean you will be automatically discharged from military service.

Is the MAR2 process considered a military occupational specialty (MOS) reclassification board?

Yes. Reclassification is considered by the MOS Administrative Retention Review (MAR2) process for Soldiers with a permanent level 3 profile (P3) who meet retention standards.

Can I appeal the MAR2 decision?

No, there is no appeal process. Once the decision is made by HRC, the results will be immediately sent back to the installation for distribution to the command. HRC will also update all the personnel codes on the Soldier's/Officer's record with the MAR2 results.

Can I take leave while I am being evaluated?

Yes. It is a 14-day process once the packet is completed.

How long can I stay on TDRL?

Five years. The law requires that a final determination be made before the fifth anniversary of placement on the TDRL. However, you may be removed from TDRL at an earlier date whenever a periodic examination discloses that your medical condition has stabilized for rating purposes. The law also directs the termination of Army retired pay if a final determination is not made at the end of five years.  See AR 635-40, para 7-11b (4); 10 USC 1210.

What if I change my mailing address or place of residence while I am on the TDRL?

You are required to keep the USAPDA advised of changes in your address. It is essential that you do so in order for contact to be made promptly when being scheduled for your periodic physical examination and notification of your final PEB determination. You will receive a notification letter and other pertinent information four (4) months prior to each scheduled examination as annotated in block 9 on the DA Form 199. You should promptly notify USAPDA by letter, email or telephone whenever there is a change to your mailing address. Failure to keep the USAPDA informed of any address changes could jeopardize your entitlement to disability retirement benefits. Send change of address information to: Headquarters, Physical Disability Agency, ATTN: TDRL Branch, 2530 Crystal Drive, Arlington, Virginia 22202; call toll free to 1-855-863-0426; or email:usarmy.pentagon.hrc.mbx.usapda-tdrl@mail.mil.

Must I undergo TDRL physical examinations if I have elected to receive Veterans Administration compensation instead of retired pay from the Army?

Yes. You are required by law to undergo periodic physical examinations as ordered by the Secretary of the Army. This requirement exists even if you waive Army retired pay in favor of Veterans Affairs (VA) compensation or are receiving treatment at a VA hospital. Examinations administered by the VA to determine the amount of compensation you are eligible to receive from that agency cannot take the place of examinations required by the Army.

Where will my TDRL examinations take place?

Your medical file will normally be referred to the Army Medical Treatment Facility (MTF) closest to your home. The hospital commander will be responsible for conducting the examination at his facility or scheduling it at another federal medical facility or civilian hospital/clinic at or near your home. If your re-examination is being done by Ivan Walks and Associates (IWA), they will schedule you at a doctor’s office or medical facility that is normally within 150 miles of your home.

When and how will I be scheduled for examination?

The USAPDA will forward a letter to the designated hospital four (4) months in advance requesting that a physical examination be conducted. After an appointment has been made for you, the hospital commander will send you additional correspondence advising you of the exact date and time to report. If your re-examination is being done by IWA, you will receive correspondence notifying you of the exact date(s) and time(s) of your scheduled appointment (s). See AR 635-40, para 7-9.

What if I am physically incapable of traveling to the hospital by myself?

If medically required, a relative or friend can accompany you to a reexamination as a non-medical attendant (NMA). The NMA will be issued Department of the Army Invitational Travel orders for their trip and can be reimbursed for authorized expenses. Requests must be made in advance with accompanying medical documentation citing the need for a NMA, and signed by the examining physician. See AR 635-40, para 7-10e.

Am I required to report for examinations if I am attending school or have a job?

Yes. You must report for your examinations even if they interfere with your job or school enrollment. In this situation, USAPDA will furnish a statement, upon request, explaining the legal requirement for your absence to undergo a physical examination, which you can present to your employer or school officials.

Will I be paid for my personal expenses incurred in traveling to the hospital for my examination, and what if I do not have sufficient money to make the trip?

Yes. You will be reimbursed. Reimbursement is determined in accordance with the Joint Federal Travel Regulation (JFTR). Effective 1 October 2011, all TDRL travel will be processed using the Defense Travel System (DTS). If air or ground travel is required, travel arrangements must be made through the Commercial Travel Office (CTO-currently Carlson Travel) by calling 1-800-756-6111. If travel by POV is more advantageous to the government, you will be authorized to travel by POV to your appointment and are entitled to mileage reimbursement for that travel. Your travel orders will normally not authorize a rental car. If you require the use of a rental car you must submit a request through your PEBLO/VELO prior to your travel and your orders will have to be amended. Rental cars must also be reserved through the CTO. If your trip is greater than 12 hours in duration you are also authorized meal reimbursement. If you do not have sufficient money to make the trip you may request a travel advance by contacting your PEBLO/VELO for assistance. You should do so at least 10 days prior to your travel, and must have a bank account for your travel to be posted. Your PEBLO/VELO will also assist you with completing your form for reimbursement of authorized expenses. It is strongly encouraged that you discuss your travel arrangements with your PEBLO/VELO prior to travel to the hospital to ensure that you are clear on your entitlements. The same rules apply to travel to a formal PEB if required.

What if I fail to report for a scheduled examination?

The law specifies that your entitlement to receive Army retired pay will be terminated if you fail to report for a physical examination without showing just cause. Once terminated, your entitlements are not reinstated until you undergo an examination. You must promptly notify the hospital at which you are scheduled if you cannot attend a scheduled appointment. Repeated failure to report for examinations may result in suspension of retired pay or administrative removal from the TDRL on the fifth anniversary of placement thereon without entitlement to any of the benefits resulting from disability separation or retirement. See AR 635-40, para 7-11b; 10 USC 1210.

Who should I contact if I have questions about my physical examinations or other matters pertaining to my status on the TDRL?

In addition to contacting your PEBLO/VELO, you may contact the USAPDA TDRL Branch at 1-855-863-0426 or via email at usarmy.pentagon.hrc.mbx.usapda-tdrl@mail.mil. 

What if I do not receive my monthly Army retired paycheck or have other problems concerning my pay?

Contact the Defense Finance & Accounting Service (DFAS), at DFAS Military Retirement Pay, P.O. Box 7130, London, KY 40742-7130 or 1-800-321-1080.

Pay and Benefits

How long can a service member receive SCAADL?

SCAADL is paid to a service member until he/she is separated from the service or until they no longer require assistance with activities of daily living. SCAADL will end the earliest of:

If the service member is transitioning out of the military, notify the Department of Veterans Affairs (VA) of impending transition to ensure application procedures of the VA's monthly caregiver stipend are initiated prior to separation from service.

Is SCAADL automatic?

No, the service member or guardian must apply, and a DOD or VA physician certifies eligibility. A service member should contact a member of his or her recovery team (to include the Primary Care Manager, Nurse Case Manager, Recovery Care Coordinator, Non- Medical Case Manager, or unit leadership) for the SCAADL application form and guidance.

What if I disagree with my SCAADL determination?

There is a section on the DD Form 2948 that provides an opportunity to indicate you wish to appeal. Appeals must be submitted to the Commanding General, Warrior Transition Command. All medical reviews and opinions must be included. After the command surgeon conducts a thorough review and develops a medical advisory opinion; the commanding commander will review the package and determine SCAADL entitlement.

Who receives the SCAADL payment?

SCAADL is paid directly to the service member, not the service member's designated caregiver. It is up to the service member to ensure the compensation flows accordingly.

Is SCAADL tax-exempt?

No, SCAADL is taxable compensation.

Are there any instances where my SCAADL could change?

Yes, SCAADL amounts are based on geographic location AND care needs. Amounts may change if the service member moves or his/her care needs change.
Also, SCAADL requires recertification every 180 days (or when medical or geographic conditions change) to ensure payment accuracy.

What if my status changes from outpatient to inpatient?

As long as the service member is in outpatient status for the majority of the month (more than 15 days) he / she will still be eligible for SCAADL.

Can I designate a military member as my primary caregiver?

No, a military member cannot be designated as a primary caregiver for purposes of SCAADL.

I'm transitioning out of the service. Will I still receive SCAADL as a Veteran?

While SCAADL is intended for service members, you may receive it up to 90 days after separation from the service. While out-processing, you need to complete the application for the VA Caregiver Stipend.
The service member should work with their recovery team to begin the transition process. The service member may realize a change in compensation when transitioning to VA Caregiver Stipend.

I was authorized a Non-Medical Attendant (NMA). Does that mean I will automatically qualify for SCAADL?

No, service members who have been authorized an NMA should not assume entitlement to SCAADL. NMAs are authorized by physicians and designated by the service member. However, there is no stringent clinical review applied to this designation as there is with SCAADL.

Where can I go to file a claim for TSGLI benefits?

You can download and complete form SGL 8600 Application for TSGLI Benefits athttp://benefits.va.gov/INSURANCE/forms/TSGLIForm.htm.

Are there certain circumstances under which a traumatic injury will not be covered by TSGLI?

Yes. Certain injuries are not covered by TSGLI and include the following:

Does TSGLI cover injuries that I incurred off duty?

Yes. TSGLI provides insurance coverage for injuries incurred on or off duty, regardless of the geographical location in which the injury occurred, considering all TSGLI eligibility requirements are met.

What is Social Security’s definition of disability?

You must be unable to do substantial work because of your medical condition(s) and your medical conditions(s) must have lasted, or be expected to last, at least one year or result in death. Social Security does not give money to people with partial disability or short-term disability.

What information do I need to apply?

The following documents and/or information are required; however, you should not wait until you have all the documents, but file your application as soon as possible:

Can I choose between my VA and Army retirement pay?

No, the payment a retired member receives from the military will be waived by an amount equal to the VA compensation.

Am I entitled to concurrent receipt as long as I am 100 percent or unemployable?

You are not entitled to CRDP unless you have 20 years of active service and are rated 50 percent or over.

Is the CRSC effective date the same as my retirement date?

The CRSC effective date is based on the date of retirement and VA waiver (military retired pay is reduced by VA disability payments). For example, if a Soldier retires on March 05, 2008 and the VA waiver is taken out on April 1, 2008, the CRSC entitlement effective date will be April 1, 2008.

Personnel Actions

How do I correct my DD Form 214?

Following separation, a written request must be submitted to the appropriate location below to correct any errors or missing information on your DD Form 214. A DD Form 215 will be initiated by the agency representative below to update the DD Form 214:

Corrections to only add or delete awards or decorations (DD Form 214, Block 13):
Commander, US Army Human Resources Command, ATTN: AHRC-PDP-A, Dept 480, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5408 

Corrections to only reentry eligibility (RE) code:
Commander, US Army Human Resources Command, ATTN: AHRC-EPF-R, Dept 365, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5306 

Officers currently RA or USAR (TPU/IMA/IRR):  
Commander, US Army Human Resources Command, ATTN: AHRC-OPL-P, Dept 290, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5209 

Branches ADA, AR, AV, FA, IN, PA, SOF:
ATTN: AHRC-EPA-X, Dept 357, 
1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5305 

Branches MI, SC, CH, EN, MP, all SGM/CSM:
ATTN: AHRC-EPB-X, Dept 316, 
1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5301 

Branches OD, QM, TC, Soldier Support or Health Services:
ATTN: AHRC-EPC-X, Dept 346, 
1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5304 

All other Soldiers including discharged or retired Soldiers without reserve status: Commander, US Army Human Resources Command, Human Resources Service Center, AHRC-PDR-VIB
1600 Spearhead Division Avenue, Dept 420, Fort Knox, KY 40122-5402 

Army National Guard (ARNG) Soldiers not on active duty:
Appropriate State Adjutant General

Can corrections be made in the unshaded areas of the DD Form 214?

The Transition Center (TC) preparing the DD Form 214 may correct typographical errors in the unshaded areas before the Soldier’s departure and distribution of the DD Form 214.  Corrections must be neat and legible, and the authenticating official must initial each correction on all copies.

If I lose or cannot find my DD Form 214, where can I get a copy?

You can request it online and via mail or fax using an SF 180 by visiting the National Archives website. Another source to obtain your DD Form 214 is by going to the VA eBenefits Portal.

When do I need to apply for a passport?

Applicants should submit passport applications as soon as possible. If in a Permanent Change of Station (PCS) status, submit the application(s) no later than 14 days after the personal interview in the military personnel office.

How do I obtain a no-fee passport?

When a passport is required for travel on official Government business, the service member and family members must submit a completed DD Form 1056, completed DSP Form 11, photographs, and evidence of U.S. citizenship.

When do I have to update no-fee passports?

Applications for updating no-fee passports need to be submitted when passports become 3 years old or have 2 years of validity remaining.

How do I obtain birth certificates for passport applications?

Applicants may obtain certified copies of their birth records by writing to the vital statistics office in the State, possession, or other area where they were born.

What are the general requirements and qualifications for becoming a U.S. citizen?

Good Moral Character (GMC), residence and physical presence in the U.S., knowledge of the English language, knowledge of U.S. government and history, and attachment to the principles of the U.S. Constitution.

What is “peacetime naturalization”?

Service members who have served honorably in the U.S. armed forces for one year at any time may be eligible to apply for naturalization.

What are the designated periods of hostilities?

Members of the U.S. armed forces, who served honorably for any period of time during the following designated periods of hostilities, can apply for naturalization:

Can spouses of service members who are already U.S. citizens be eligible for expedited naturalization?

Yes. Spouses of service members who are already U.S. citizens and are (or will be) deployed may be eligible for expedited naturalization in the United States under section 319(b) of the INA.

What DoD regulation covers visas?

DoD 1000.21-R Passport and Passport Agent Services Regulation, April 1997.

I am a foster parent in the military. The state Social Services Department placed a child in my care by court order, but the custody is retained by the state. The court order is sufficient to have the child entered into DEERS and qualify for the issuance of an ID card. The state has given permission to take the child on the overseas assignment as placement is considered “permanent” even though the child is not adopted. How can I get a passport and visa for the child?

In this case, the State Department recommends that you submit the original documentation from the state granting permission to take the child out of the country, as well as any legal documentation pertaining to the case. The Department of State will make a determination after they have reviewed the submitted documents and notify you if anything else is needed.

What is Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)?

STEP is a free service provided by the U.S. government to U.S. citizens who are traveling to, or living in, a foreign country. STEP allows you to enter information about your trip or overseas residence so that the Department of State can better assist you in an emergency. To sign up for STEP and receive routine information from your nearest U.S. embassy or consulate click here.

What is the difference between a guardian and a Non-Medical Attendant (NMA)?

A guardian is appointed by the court. An attending physician or surgeon and the commander or head of the military medical facility determines the need for a NMA and whether or not the NMA is appropriate in contributing to the health and welfare of the service member.

What responsibilities do guardians have toward the court?

The court will supervise the guardian’s care of the ward to include the financial management of the ward. The guardian is required to submit reports to the court, usually on an annual basis. If a guardian cannot meet the scheduled report submission, he or she must notify the court prior to the next scheduled report due to the court.

Are guardians compensated?

Normally, guardians are entitled to reasonable compensation for their services, payable from the funds of the ward. However, no compensation is permitted without a court order. This compensation is taxable income to the guardian.

When would a guardianship be terminated?

A guardianship can be terminated for different reasons. Some scenarios may include the guardian’s resignation, death of the ward, a ward reaching the age of maturity, ward recovering from the incapacity that resulted in the establishment of the guardianship or if the court decides it necessary to terminate the guardianship. A guardianship is never automatically terminated without a court proceeding or the filing of mandated documents to relieve the guardian. 

What is sexual assault?

Sexual assault is a crime. The Department of Defense (DoD) defines sexual assault as intentional sexual contact, characterized by use of force, physical threat or abuse of authority, or when the victim does not or cannot consent. Consent should not be deemed or construed to mean the failure by the victim to offer physical resistance. Additionally, consent is not given when a person uses force, threat of force, coercion or when the victim is asleep, incapacitated or unconscious. Sexual assault includes rape, non-consensual sodomy (oral or anal sex), indecent assault (e.g., unwanted and inappropriate sexual contact or fondling) or attempts to commit these acts. Sexual assault can occur without regard to gender, spousal relationship or age of victim.

I have been sexually assaulted. What should I do?

Go to a safe location away from the attacker.

Contact your local SARC, VA, Healthcare Provider, or the Ft. Belvoir Sexual Assault Hotline. You also may contact your chain of command or law enforcement (military or civilian); however if you do, an investigation will be initiated through the appropriate Criminal Investigative Service or local law enforcement agency.

Seek medical care as soon as possible. Even if you do not have any visible physical injuries, you may be at risk of acquiring a sexually transmitted disease or become pregnant. Ask the healthcare provider to conduct a sexual assault forensic examination to preserve forensic evidence. If you suspect you had been drugged, request that a urine sample be collected.

Preserve all evidence of the assault. Do not bathe, wash your hands, eat or drink or brush your teeth. Do not clean or straighten up the crime scene. Write down, tape or record by any other means all the details you can recall about the assault and your assailant.

What is sexual harassment?

Sexual harassment is a form of gender discrimination that involves unwelcome sexual advances, requests for sexual favors, and other verbal or physical conduct of a sexual nature between the same or opposite genders when submission to, or rejection of, such conduct explicitly or implicitly affects an individual's employment, work performance, or creates a hostile or intimidating work environment.

I am being sexually harassed. What should I do?

Document the incident as soon as it happens. Jot down the date, time, location and nature of harassment.

Report the matter to a human resources representative, the direct manager or supervisor of the offender. If you are military, you can also contact the Equal Opportunity Advisor (EOA) at Ft. Belvoir at (703) 805-2288/5390/5387. If you are civilian, please contact the Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) Office at Fort Belvoir at (703) 805-2006.

Verify the claim in writing when you report the incident to the manager, Human Resources (HR) representative or other professional.

Follow up with the person handling the complaint and receive updates on the investigation. As with verifying the claim, do all follow-ups in writing.

If the employer fails to take action or retaliates against the complainant for making the claim, talk to a lawyer. A legal professional can help with filing a formal sexual harassment complaint with the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.

Family & Caregiver Resources

Non-Medical Attendant (NMA)

How is SCAADL different from a Non-Medical Attendant (NMA)?

Special Compensation for Assistance with Activities of Daily Living (SCAADL) is a program that provides funds directly to a Soldier so that a Soldier may pay a home health aide to provide the Soldier with assistance with activities of daily living such as bathing, eating, and dressing. A NMA is a person that provides support to the Soldier, while the Soldier recovers and heals.

How do I obtain a NMA?

When a seriously ill and injured Soldier is in outpatient status, a doctor (the Soldier’s PCM) determines that a Soldier may benefit from having someone near him/her to provide support and encouragement during recovery. Once the PCM makes this determination, the PCM submits a request to the commander for the Soldier to have a NMA. The commander must approve the request.

How is a NMA different from any other supportive Family or friend?

NMAs differ from families that provide support in that they are placed on official military orders. This provides them with certain entitlements while they provide support to the Soldier. Please refer to WTC Policy: WTU/CBWTU Non-Medical Attendants for additional details.

What kind of activities does a NMA do to support a Soldier?

NMAs provide personal support to the Soldier, which may include the following activities:

Please see the NMA Responsibilities section of the WTC Policy: WTU/CBWTU Non-Medical Attendants to learn more about their official duties.

How long do NMAs support a Soldier?

The timeframe that a NMA is required is based upon need as determined by the PCM, but typically support is provided in 30 day increments, up to 180 days. Thirty days prior to the end of the NMA orders, the PCM will re-evaluate the Soldier. If the need continues, the PCM will submit a request to the commander to extend the time period. Once the Soldier no longer needs a NMA, the PCM will formally counsel the Soldier and NMA with the reason for discontinuing NMA orders. Soldiers may submit an appeal form to the Warrior Transition Unit (WTU) surgeon or deputy commander of clinical services at the hospital if assigned to a WTU without a battalion surgeon.

How long does it take to be approved for NMA?

Usually about 5 – 10 business days.

How do I become a NMA?

After the PCM determines that a seriously wounded, ill or injured Soldier needs support and encouragement, the Soldier selects an individual that he/she would like to help. The commander must approve both the request from the PCM and the person selected by the Soldier to be his/her NMA.

What are the official duties of a NMA?

Besides providing support to the Soldier, the NMA is required to perform the following:

Do NMAs need to pay out-of-pocket expenses while supporting the Soldier?

Yes, but not all costs. NMAs have entitlements that are set by Congress and cannot be altered at a unit level. Entitlements include per diem pay (which covers meals and incidentals at a determined government rate for the area in which the Soldier is located), some transportation costs (to include cost of travel to and from the Soldier’s location X1, some costs associated with driving the Soldier to and from medical appointments if they are away from the local area). Not all NMAs qualify for all entitlements so the unit will outline the NMA’s entitlements upon arrival.

My Soldier was not designated as NMA-eligible, but needs additional support. How can he/she get help?

Inform the PCM of your concerns. If unable to speak with the PCM right away, speak with any member of the Soldier’s interdisciplinary team (including the squad leader, NCM, PCM, social worker, occupational therapist, physical therapist, transition coordinator, or chaplain). They can provide guidance and help in this process.

What should the NMA do if the PCM and interdisciplinary team decide the Soldier no longer requires a NMA, but the NMA disagrees?

Set up an appointment with the battalion surgeon or the hospital’s deputy commander for clinical services (DCCS). They will listen and help find a solution. If you still have concerns after meeting with the battalion surgeon or the DCCS, you can request a meeting with the WTU/CBWTU commander. Additional support can be provided through the ombudsmen.

Some NMA seem to receive “NMA Pay”. What is this and are all NMAs entitled to it?

NMA Pay is a phrase coined by some NMAs when they discuss the per diem benefits they receive while supporting the Soldier. NMAs, however, are not paid to provide support for their Soldier. The per diem benefits help off-set some expenditures that a person may incur while staying at a location other than their homes while providing support. Not all NMAs receive per diem benefits. Your unit Defense Travel System (DTS) specialist can outline individual benefits.

How does the NMA get access to military things like the PX and Commissary while they support the Soldier?

Once the NMA is on official orders, the NMA (if not in the military) will be provided letters that provide access to the installation activities such as the PX and commissary. In order to use the facilities, the NMA must carry the letter with them.

If the Soldier goes on vacation and the NMA wishes to attend with the Soldier, does the NMA continue to receive per diem?

No. While the Soldier is on vacation, the NMA is not entitled to receive per diem based upon federal regulations.

If the NMA has his/her own health care concerns, what should the NMA do?

Speak with the NCM. The hospital may be able to provide assistance. If not, the NCM will be able to help find the care you need in the local community. Please ensure you inform the NCM of your health care insurance plan so that they can ensure proper coordination.

Do NMAs receive training?

Yes. Training for NMAs includes the following:

Behavioral Health

Are there any healthy ways to express anger?

Yes, the healthiest way to express anger is in a calmly assertive, non-aggressive manner. To be able to do this, you have to know how to describe your feelings to yourself and others and how to make clear what you need from others without being hostile or demanding.

What are some warning signs that my Soldier or I have an anger problem?

Sometimes it’s not easy to know if you have a problem with anger or to recognize in others if they have an anger problem; however, the following signs may indicate that anger is becoming a problem for you or your service member:

I find that my Soldier is very defensive. Is this a sign that he/she has issues with anger?

Yes, this can be a possible sign of anger issues.  People who have not learned how to constructively deal with their anger may develop rigid psychological defenses that allow them to express it without acknowledging it, thus avoiding direct confrontation. Passive-aggressive behavior (getting back at people in indirect ways while denying anger) is a classic example. Expressing anger indirectly often causes people to come across as cynical, sarcastic, bitter or hyper-critical.

At times I feel like I cannot control my anger. What are some anger management techniques?

There are a number of outlets that can help you deal with anger or your Soldier’s anger as mentioned above. Anger management skills may take some time and practice, but the rewards will be worth it. You'll find that you're better able to get your needs met, achieve your goals and have a more satisfying life.

Is depression common?

Yes, depressive disorders are common. They affect an estimated 9.5 percent of adult Americans in a given year, or about 20.9 million people.

Is depression treatable?

Yes, the majority of people who are treated for depression will improve, even those with serious depression. Unfortunately, one-third of sufferers do not seek help, as they do not realize depression is a treatable illness.

Are there any tips that can help me deal with mild depressive feelings?

Is it normal to feel depressed around the holidays?

Feeling down during or after the holiday season is not uncommon. Preparing for the holidays, the increased expectations of family and friends, the sadness of not having a loved one present, or having to say good-bye after a holiday reunion can contribute to a person feeling down. However, if these symptoms persist or if you suspect it might be more serious, contact someone for help.

How is PTSD treated?

PTSD is treated by various forms of psychotherapy (talk therapy) and pharmacotherapy (medication). There is no single best treatment, but some treatments appear to be quite promising, especially cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT).

What is a “flashback?”

As the name implies, in a flashback, a person may feel or act as though a traumatic event is happening again. There are a number of ways in which people may relive a trauma. They may have upsetting memories of the traumatic event. These memories can come back when they are not expecting them. At other times the memories may be triggered by a traumatic reminder such as when a combat Veteran hears a car backfire, a motor vehicle accident victim drives by a car accident or a rape victim sees a news report of a recent sexual assault. These memories can cause both emotional and physical reactions. Sometimes these memories can feel so real it is as if the event is actually happening again. This is called a “flashback.” Reliving the event may cause intense feelings of fear, helplessness, and horror similar to the feelings they had when the event first took place.

Why is Family or Caregiver support important?

The primary source of practical and emotional support for the Soldier is likely to be his or her Family or Caregiver. Families and Caregivers can help the Soldier cope with life’s stressors by providing companionship and a sense of belonging, which can help counter the Soldier’s feeling of separateness because of his/her experiences. If the Soldier agrees, it is important for Family members and Caregivers to participate in the Soldier’s PTSD treatment, which may include listening to your service member’s traumatic experience. It is also important to talk about how the PTSD is affecting the Soldier’s relationships, and how you and those around your Soldier can help. It is encouraged for Family members and Caregivers to talk with treatment providers on how they can help in the recovery effort.

Are there warning signs for suicide?

Suicide is usually a desperate attempt to end suffering that has become unbearable. With overwhelming feelings of worthlessness, hopelessness, and isolation, a person may see death as the only remaining choice. Yet most suicidal people have mixed feelings about ending their lives, and (consciously or subconsciously) give off warning signals to those around them. It is very important to take action when you observe any of these warning signs of suicide. Call 911 or seek immediate help from an emergency room or mental health care provider if the service member:

If I know someone exhibiting the warning signs of suicide, what should I do?

Seek help by contacting a mental health professional or calling the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline, 1-800-273-TALK (8255). If the service member exhibits any of the following warning signs, stay with the service member until help arrives; never leave a suicidal person alone:

Is it true that talking about suicide will cause someone to commit suicide?

This is a good example of a myth surrounding suicide. If someone talks about killing him/herself, take it seriously and reach out and assist him/her in finding help. Many times, talking about suicide is a cry for help and a suicide can be prevented.

What does the term “relapse” mean?

Relapse is a recurrence of symptoms of a disease after a period of improvement, such as when a person in recovery drinks or uses drugs again after a period of abstinence.

What are some of the possible signs of prescription medicine misuse?

Taking more medication than your provider prescribed, running out of the medication early, using the medication longer than prescribed and taking the medication to get high or feel better emotionally are potential signs of prescription medicine misuse.

Is there a connection between PTSD and alcohol use?

Yes, a person with Post Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD) may “self- medicate” to deal with the stresses of PTSD. It is good idea to monitor your loved one’s alcohol use if they are struggling with PTSD.


Cadre Selection Process

Are cadre members authorized Special Duty Assignment Pay (SDAP)?

Only squad leaders and platoon sergeants are authorized SDAP.  Soldiers must be performing and slotted in an authorized squad leader or platoon sergeant position to receive SDAP.

What are the assignment terms?

Recommended cadre assignments are two-years, but one 12-month extension may be requested.  Active Component cadre personnel will be stabilized for 24 months upon assignment into the WTU.

What cadre positions are available for assignment?

WTU key leader positions include the battalion commander, battalion command sergeant major, separate company commander, first sergeant, platoon sergeant, squad leader, nurse case manager and senior nurse case manager.

What are the WTU/CBWTU locations?

There are 25 WTUs at major Army installations. The WTU and CBWTU locations can be found here: http://www.wtc.army.mil/about_us/wtu_locations.html.


Veterans Career and Education

How can I improve my chances of becoming employed?

There are many ways to improve your chance of success in your job search, such as:

Do I need different resumes for private industry employment and Federal employment?

Yes. In the private industry, a hiring manager will often spend only 30 to 60 seconds reviewing your resume, so it should not exceed two pages. It is during this time they will decide if they want to bring you in for an interview. During the interview they will ask questions to determine if you are qualified for the position.
For Federal employment, the personnel office will review your resume to determine if you meet the minimum qualifications for the position. Therefore, you must place all of your experiences, education, etc. that are applicable to the minimum qualifications in your resume. Your Federal resume can be several pages long. Once it is determined you meet the minimum qualifications, your resume will be ranked along with all other applicants. Most often, only those receiving the highest scores will be referred to the hiring manager.

Where can I get help writing my resume?

You can contact the following resources to get help with your resume:

Where can I find additional information on Federal employment for Veterans?

The best resource is the Office of Personnel and Management (OPM). There is an entire section on their website devoted to Federal employment of Veterans. If you are an AW2 Veteran, you may also contact your AW2 Advocate or Career Coordinator for additional information.

I’ve applied for several Federal jobs.  I have been rated “qualified but not referred.”  What does this mean?

It depends. You could have met all of the minimum qualifications, but other applicants were rated higher based on their experience and/or education. It could also mean the position was filled with a Priority Placement Program (PPP) candidate or with an individual with a different hiring authority or priority. Visit www.opm.gov for more information.

I am applying for Federal positions, but I keep receiving notices that I am not qualified for the job.  What should I do?

There are several approaches you should take:

I need accommodations to help me perform my duties.  What do I do?

Visit our Reasonable Accommodations page for additional information. You may also contact your supervisor, company or agency Human Resource Office, EEO Disability Office, or AW2 Advocate or Career Coordinator.  Any of these offices will be able to help you.

I think my office is discriminating against me because of my disability.  What should I do?

You may contact your company or agency Human Resource Office, EEO Disability Office, or AW2 Advocate or Career Coordinator.  Any of these offices will be able to help you.

Pay and Benefits

Can I choose between my VA and Army retirement pay?

No, the payment a retired member receives from the military will be waived by an amount equal to the VA compensation.

Am I entitled to concurrent receipt as long as I am 100 percent or unemployable?

You are not entitled to CRDP unless you have 20 years of active service and are rated 50 percent or over.

Is the CRSC effective date the same as my retirement date?

The CRSC effective date is based on the date of retirement and VA waiver (military retired pay is reduced by VA disability payments). For example, if a Soldier retires on March 05, 2008 and the VA waiver is taken out on April 1, 2008, the CRSC entitlement effective date will be April 1, 2008.

Do I receive both retired pay and VA pay?

It depends on the time in service and VA rating. If you have 20 years of service in addition to a 50 percent or more VA disability rating, you would be eligible for Concurrent Retirement and Disability Pay (CRDP).If you do not qualify for CRDP and your VA entitlement is greater than the retired pay amount, you will not receive retired pay.
For additional information on CRDP, visit our CRSC/CRDP page.

I got promoted on my last day of service. Why am I not receiving retirement pay at my promoted grade level?

Retired pay is calculated by averaging the last 36 months of pay received, unless you joined the military before September 7, 1980.

I am an Army Wounded Warrior Program (AW2) Solder transitioning from the Army. Why am I required to retire on the 27th of the month?

This is so you can begin receiving payments in one month versus two. It allows Veteran Affairs (VA) to process paperwork on the first day of the following month and DFAS to establish your account.

How should my surviving spouse apply for SBP annuity?

Designated beneficiaries of a deceased military retiree's SBP must complete the following documents to begin their SBP annuity account:

Completed forms can be mailed or faxed to DFAS – U.S. Military Annuitant Pay. For additional information, visit the DFAS website.

If I die before retirement, is my spouse covered under SBP?

No, SBP is not applicable until the time of retirement. Your spouse or eligible beneficiaries will receive death gratuity benefits and Servicemembers Group Life Insurance (SGLI) if it was previously elected.

I do not have a spouse and have elected child-only coverage. If I die while the children are still eligible for the annuity, how long will they receive it?

Child election is equal to spousal election, and the child will continue to receive it for his/her natural life.

I didn’t elect to participate in SBP before retiring, but would like to enroll now. Can I enroll in SBP after I’ve retired? How do I enroll?

If a Veteran was never married at the time of retirement, but married after retirement, then he/she can apply for SBP enrollment by completing a DD Form 2656-6 and submitting to DFAS.
If a Veteran was married at the time of retirement and declined the coverage, he/she is not eligible to enroll in SBP after retirement.

Prepare for Transition

What benefits do I have as an AW2 Soldier or Veteran?

If you are a part of our U.S. Army Wounded Warrior Program (AW2) as an AW2 Soldier or AW2 Veteran, you have advocacy services through your AW2 Advocate.  They will be able to help you find resources, advise you on benefits and serve as a coach as you transition. Your AW2 Advocate has access to subject matter experts that can help with specific question or issues on finance, education and employment, human resources, etc.

Will I receive both Army retirement and VA disability since my injuries are combat-related?

Only Soldiers who have completed 20 years of active duty service are authorized the Concurrent Receipt Disability Pay (CRDP). For those with less than 20 years of active duty service, the higher of the two between Army retirement and VA disability pay is authorized. Eligible Soldiers may apply for Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC), which is a separate pay that can be claimed for VA-rated injuries that are combat-related. 

When do I apply for Combat Related Special Compensation (CRSC)?

You should apply for CRSC after you receive your official VA rating letter. If you are a part of AW2, your AW2 Advocate can assist you with the application process.

How long will it take for the VA to start paying my disability pay?

The time it takes to process disability pay varies on a case-by-case basis. Within the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES), Soldiers are given a proposed VA rating, which is considered a ‘draft’ with no official standing until they are medically retired. Following medical retirement, his/her case is given final consideration for a rating, and the processing time can vary based on the complexity of the case. For Soldiers that separated from the Army without having gone through a medical evaluation board (MEB), their claims cannot be submitted until they are truly a Veteran. This processing time can also vary based on the complexity of the case.

Should I get an attorney to help with my VA claim?

In most cases, it is not necessary to get assistance from an attorney. However, many Veterans choose to get free assistance from organizations such as the Disabled American Veterans (DAV), Veterans of Foreign Wars (VFV), and the Military Order of the Purple Heart. These organizations will typically ask you to sign a limited power of attorney, which will allow them to speak with the VA on your behalf. They can help you determine status, ask the VA to reconsider the severity of your rated ailments, and help you with other support actions. For more information regarding these organizations and their advocacy services, please visit their website.

When can I appeal or re-open my VA claim for a higher rating?

You can appeal or re-open your VA claim after you are discharged from the Army/Guard/Reserve; preferably within one year of your discharge date.

When will my COAD/COAR be completed?

Continuation of Active Duty (COAD)/Continuation on Active Reserve (COAR) will be completed by the time you receive your final DA Form 199.

How long will I receive Special Compensation for Assistance with Activities of Daily Living (SCAADL), now that my spouse is taking care of me? 

The SCAADL allowance will continue for up to 90 days after your medical retirement date. This is to allow time for the VA Caregiver program to go through its stages of the approval process. If and when the VA Caregiver pay starts, SCAADL will end. 

How long should I wait before contacting the U.S. Army Physical Disability Agency (USAPDA) about my Temporary Disability Retirement List (TDRL) exam?

Contact USAPDA if you don’t hear from them after three years.

What do I do if my household goods shipment entitlement is about to expire after one year of retirement?

Your entitlement to ship your household goods expires after 12 months. However, that can be extended year by year by submitting a letter to the local Joint Personal Property Shipping Office (JPPSO) office citing rationale for the extension.  Reasons could include the job market, a child who is a senior in high school, real estate sales problems, etc.

Post Transition

There is something in my military record that I need to correct, like a missing decoration.  How do I do that?

Veterans must complete a DD Form 149 to make military record corrections.

Where can I get information about my Veteran’s Administration benefits?

For information on VA benefits, visit the VA’s website. You can also reference the VA’s “Federal Benefits for Veterans, Dependents and Survivors” Guide, which provides comprehensive information on VA benefits.

I am a medical retiree and am entitled to other Department of Defense (DOD) benefits.  Where can I get more information about these benefits?

Military.com produces an annual book called “The Military Advantage,” which provides comprehensive information on DoD benefits.

What is a Veteran’s Administration award letter?

A VA award letter is a 10-15 page document that Veterans receive from the VA stating how much pay they will be receiving for service-related disabilities. You will need this document to receive certain benefits.  If you lost your VA award letter, contact the VA Benefits Call Center at (800) 827-1000 to request one.

How do I convert or transfer my TRICARE benefits?

As soon as you receive your DD Form 214, visit your nearest Medical Treatment Facility (MTF) or TRICARE office to update your status.

When can I apply for Combat-Related Specialty Compensation (CRSC)?

You can apply for CRSC after the VA has finished processing your VA disability claim. For additional information on CRSC, visit our Veterans – Pay and Benefits page.

When will I receive my first check from the Veteran’s Administration?

Approximately 4-6 months after receipt of Army retirement.

When will my Veteran’s Administration disability payments start?

For a Soldier who was in the Integrated Disability Evaluation System (IDES) process, it takes on average around 3-4 months for the VA to process your VA claim after you’ve separated from the Army.  You can check the status of your claim on your eBenefits account.

How long will it take for my Army retirement pay to begin?

As long as you have submitted your DD Form 2656 correctly, Defense Finance Accounting Services (DFAS) should have your retiree account established within 30 days of you separating from the Army.

If I was placed on the Temporary Disability Retired List (TDRL), when will my reevaluation take place?

When you received your DA 199 (Informal Physical Evaluation Board Proceedings), there should have been a projected date that was listed. This date is only an approximate date, which can vary by several months depending on your region. Medical reevaluations usually take place somewhere between 24-36 months from the time a Soldier initially retires.
To ensure the US Army Physical Disability Agency (USAPDA) can reach you when it comes time to schedule your reevaluation, keep the USAPDA updated on your current contact information (email, phone, address).

When will I receive my final Veteran’s Administration rating letter?

It is not possible to accurately predict an answer for each case.  For those who have gone through the Disability Evaluation System (DES) process, a proposed VA rating should have been issued. This should be considered a ‘draft’ with no official standing.  Once a Soldier has medically retired is their case given consideration for a final rating. The length of time can vary depending on the complexity of the case. 

I can’t pay my rent this month and am facing eviction. I need financial help. Who can I contact?

If you are an AW2 Veteran, call your AW2 Advocate for assistance. For non-AW2 Veterans, first contact your VA OEF/OIF social worker and if you still require assistance, contact your local Red Cross center.
All Veterans can access the Support Network or the National Resource Directory resources to find organizations that are willing to help wounded, ill, and injured Soldiers, Veterans, and their Families through a short term financial crisis. These organizations can assist with life’s essentials such as rent, car insurance, car payment, utilities, etc.
For additional resources on Veterans assistance, visit our Veterans – VA Resources page

I will be moving and want to know what steps I should take?

Update your address and contact information with VA healthcare (1-877-222-VETS (8387)) to coordinate new care. Update your address and contact information with the following agencies:

Back to Top